Indoor Radio Planning
A Practical Guide for 2G, 3G and 4G – Third Edition
Why is high-performance indoor wireless service needed, and how is it best implemented?
As the challenge of providing better service and higher data speed and quality for mobile applications intensifies, ensuring adequate in-building and tunnel coverage and capacity is increasingly important. A unique, single-source reference on the theoretical and practical knowledge behind indoor and tunnel radio planning, this book provides a detailed overview of mobile networks systems, coverage and capacity solutions with 2G, 3G and 4G cellular system technologies as a backdrop.
All of the available solutions, from basic passive distributed antenna systems (DAS) through to advanced fiber-optic systems supporting MIMO as well as small cell design are discussed in detail to give the reader a good understanding. Systematically moving from the basic considerations through to advanced indoor planning, aspects such as upgrading passive DAS from 2G to 3G and 4G noise analysis, link budgets, traffic calculations and software tools that can be used to help create in-building designs are also covered – and all from a pragmatic and practical angle.
- A new version of the bestseller, updating and including 4G planning, small cell design, PIM (passive inter-modulation), and tunnel radio planning.
- New section dedicated to application-focused DAS design examples of office buildings, convention centers, shopping malls, and sport arenas; also addresses outdoor DAS systems and base station hotel concepts
- Outlines the key parameters and metrics for designing DAS for 2G, 3G and 4G
- Essential reading for engineering and planning personnel at mobile operators, providing a sound grounding in indoor radio planning for equipment manufacturers
- Written by a leading practitioner in the field with more than 25 years of practical experience